How do you decide who to follow on Instagram or other such media?
When I have someone follow me, and Instagram suggests I follow them back, I have a quick look at their photos and almost instantly make a decision – are these photos I want to see or not?
Life is too short to engage with photos that don’t interest me for many reasons. It may sound judgemental, but it’s nothing to do with the person posting, making a judgement as to how I want to spend my time. So, here are the photos I do like to see.
- Travel photos that show the culture that person is exploring; travel photos that are natural – that is, no filters or colour enhancers – I want to see what your eyes saw – not a camera adjustment! Selfies, or photos of you, doing yoga or muscle poses, (for example) in exotic places – for me that does not make it a travel photo. It is self-promotion, and although I’m sure many people love to see them, it’s just not my cup of tea.
- I don’t follow Instagram pages that have numerous quotes, sayings, homilies, and the stream. If I see one or 2 that’s fine, but not screeds of them.
- If they are family photos and I don’t know you, I’m not interested.
What a curmudgeonly old woman I sound, but one of the beauties of life is that you don’t have to, and I don’t have to, follow or please everybody by posting the photos they want to see. We all take and post the photos we want to post
- So what photos do you like to see,
- What ones don’t you want to see
- Or, do you just follow everybody if they are following you?
It’s not about right or wrong, it’s just about our taste – or lack of taste you might think 🙂
I’m looking forward to hearing how you choose who to follow or not on Instagram, Facebook, or any other social – let’s face it, each of our opinions is totally valid. Is that old adage says, one man’s meat is another man’s poison – or your junk is my treasure.
What’s your junk? Your treasure?